The recent incidents in the US have brought to the forefront the rising police brutality against the black community and also the continued racism and discrimination they face in the community, at work or running a business.
A Stanford University study found that only 1% of Black-owned businesses receive loans in their first year. That’s seven times lower than the percentage for white businesses. The disparity between white-owned and black-owned businesses prove that the economy hasn’t been in favor of black-run businesses.
Last quarter, Fast Company reported that black women are starting businesses faster than any other group, sharing that “women of color account for 89% (1,625) of the new businesses opened every day over the past year.”
Additionally, it was found that Black women-owned businesses earned an average revenue of -$24,000 per firm vs. $142,900 among all women-owned businesses. The gap between black women-owned businesses’ average revenue and all women-owned businesses is the greatest of any minority.
There are many ways you can get involved in making a difference. Buying from black women-owned businesses is one of them.
We are excited to feature these amazing beauty products by six Black Women Entrepreneurs . They are all available for purchase on Amazon and were selected and curated by our editor. As an Amazon Associate we earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- ‘Bawse Lady’, a best -selling lip gloss from The Lip Bar, a non-toxic, vegan, and cruelty-free line of bold, bright, and beautiful pigmented lip colors. Founder Melissa Butler had a career in finance before making the leap to create and founded The Lip Bar. She launched The Lip Bar in her kitchen while working at Wall Street.
“This lipstick is not only beautiful, it lasts long also. I decided to start being more conscious of my beauty products. I am glad I did. I have been using this lipstick for almost a month and I reach for it daily. The color is gorgeous and I love the design of the cap. The line has great colors and I get lots of compliments. It really is a different experience knowing that lipstick does not have those harsh chemicals. My lips are not cracked and dry like they use to be. It’s a must-have for lipstick wearers.” – Top review on Amazon
Get it on Amazon for $13 ( Available in a variety of colors)
2. Footnanny Unscented Foot Cream is a best selling foot cream on Amazon among the Footnanny line of foot creams. It was created as a dedication to the mother of the founder, Gloria Williams, in honor of her gift of touch and mixing of home remedies! Footnanny Foot Cream was also chosen as one of Oprah’s Favorite Things in 2014. This product is unscented but can also be used as a custom blend base and you can add your own essential oil directly to the jar of foot cream.
“I love this foot cream. The unscented truly has no scent. It is thick and creamy and makes my feet feel wonderful and soft.” – Amazon reviewer
Get it on Amazon for $48 ( Available in a variety of fragrances)
3. Briogeo Farewell Frizz Rosarco Milk Leave-In Conditioner is ideal for Frizzy, Dry or Damaged Hair and can be used on all hair types. The ingredients are natural, ethically sourced and are not tested on animals. Nancy Twine, founder of haircare line Briogeo, a former Goldman Sachs finance executive realized she wasn’t living her passion and jumped ship. Armed with a tiny East Village studio apartment, her grandmother’s coveted beauty recipes and a rockstar natural chemist team, Nancy founded Briogeo Hair Care.
“For years I’ve been trying to find a product that will eliminate the frizziness that my hair shows after each wash. I found it!!! I wear it almost every day, it’s easy to use for styling and smells great! Love, love, love this product.” – Amazon reviewer
Get it on Amazon for $20
4. Beauty Bakerie Setting Powder is the perfect powder to hold your foundation in place. It helps your makeup stay on longer and mattes your face so it minimizes the appearance of having oily skin. All their products are cruelty-free and have not been tested on animals. This brand which is worth over $5 million, started as a one-woman operation in 2011 after founder Cashmere Nicole put herself through college and nursing school, while being a single mother.
“I heard about Beauty Bakerie from a friend who recommended this setting/baking powder. I’m so happy I listened to her and went ahead and bought this! This is my new go-to powder. Leaves my makeup looking flawless. The packaging is beyond cute!!” – Amazon reviewer
Get it on Amazon for $32.85
5. Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Moisture & Shine Shampoo and Conditioner Set are sulfate-free and transform unmanageable hair into incredibly soft and easy to style hair. Lisa Price, established this multi-cultural beauty brand in 1993 in her Brooklyn kitchen and named it after her mother, Carol. In 2014, she sold her brand to L’Oréal. At the time, the business was valued at $27 million
“I’ve used this shampoo and conditioner for almost a year, and with Amazon it’s been a breeze to order and have it shipped and it’s arrived in perfect condition each time. I have always had long, thick, wavy, frizzy hair which has been losing its shine in recent years, gotten thinner, and I was losing a battle with dandruff. Since using this, the dandruff cleared up with the first bottle and shine started coming back. My hair is less brittle and the ends don’t split as quickly, not as frizzy, and its thicker again! I love this shampoo/conditioner. I won’t be using anything else in the foreseeable future. I love my hair again.” – Amazon Reviewer
Get it on Amazon for $15.69
The Honey Pot – Normal Foaming Wash, Feminine Cleanse is made by women, for women, because it takes one to know one. Each product is 100% natural and powered by Mother Nature. The founder of the Honey Pot, Bea Feliu-Espada suffered from bacterial vaginosis infection for eight months. An ancestor gave her the ingredients to heal herself in a dream. From that insightful dream, she created the formula for a healthy, clean feminine wash. And the rest is history.
“Ok LADIES!!!! What are you waiting for click buy now!!! Seriously I have searched looked hunted down the right products for my lady parts and babe let me just say that not only as a woman but as a licensed Esthetician this is by far the best.” – Amazon Reviewer
Get it on Amazon for $15.98
We will be curating and posting more lists of Black female-owned brands and entrepreneurs in the next couple of weeks. If you know of brands you think should be included, let us know in the comments.